This 2.5 hr workshop is designed to be an introduction to working with Queer, Trans and Gender nonconforming pregnant people and their families in the postpartum stage and will be facilitated by a gender nonconforming person.
"Nerissa is a Black nonbinary full spectrum doula from St. Louis, living in Chicago. They were first trained at Ancient Song Doula in Brooklyn, New York and was pulled to them by the intersectional identity lens in which they view birthwork and beyond. Nerissa primarily works in higher education where they run wellness and trauma Informed care programs for graduate students in social work. They are also a yoga teacher and meditation guide. Nerissa has always wanted to and feels like they were meant to be in the field of holistic care/reproductive care work, working with their community in ways that they are naturally good at. They became a doula because they felt a pull to serve Black and Brown communities in birth work. Their focus is providing services to Black and Brown folks queer, trans and gender nonconforming ppl of color and folks with disabilities."
The content will be geared toward working with families in the postpartum period but will have good information for birth doulas as well.
We will go over:
- What Queer, Trans, and GNC familes look like
- Current representation of queer, trans and gnc folks within reproductive justice, specifically the birthing community
- Bias and barriers within the birth world and their stake holders that impact queer, trans, and gnc pregnant people's mental, emotional, physical and medical well-being.
- Engage participants in practice scenarios that will challenge participants assumptions, unconscious bias and comfort level in working with Queer, Trans and GNC families
- Offer both local and global resources to that are currently working to create affirming care and services for Queer, Trans and GNC pregnant people
- Offer practical tools for participants to practice unlearning transphobia, and other bias that impact Queer, Trans and GNC pregnant people in the greater scope of their personal lives
If you are a current doula with CVD please make your usual $20 refundable workshop deposit.
If you are not a current doula with CVD please make a donation of your choice to attend the workshop.
(This event will be recorded)
- November 14, 2020 at 12:00pm – 2:30pm
- $20.00 USD